Wednesday 13 June 2012

To those people who say "I will never."

My daily sketch might need a little explaining. I use a caterpillar to represent who we are (whether you've flown or not - deep down inside you will always remain a caterpillar).
I had a difficult time in school due to my dyslexia. I went into grade one, excited. Ready to learn to be a doctor, teacher, writer or most likely at the time A Princess.

On a day, after my second grade teacher told me I'd never graduate if I didn't take my time writing, a few kids cornered me in the playground. They pushed me around, saying things like "You're never going to be anything." Until I finally pushed back - or kicked actually. And when I kicked Barry - he went down hard. I ran across the playground and sat by the stream running along the property.

There was this caterpillar munching along the grass in front of me.  When you're a caterpillar finding yourself right in front of a fuming second grader is not a good chance.

I lifted my hand and smashed it down on that poor caterpillar smooshing it into YUCK and as I smashed that caterpillar I said, "YOU WILL NEVER BE A BUTTERFLY." From that day on, I smooshed  every caterpillar I saw.

Flash forward to grade four where I had this FANTASTIC teacher, named Mrs. Monds who realised I had dyslexia. On the day she found out, and told me she was going to help me learn to read, I was walking home and saw...
A caterpillar crawling along a tree branch. I brought my hand up to smash it but before my hand came down, it plummeted to the ground - ready to take it's own life into it's hand.
But it didn't die. I knelt down to watch it crawl away. It was like that caterpillar was saying, "FUCK YOU. You have no right to tell me what I can or cannot be."
That's when I decided to do the same thing. I changed my attitude and didn't let people tell me what I can and cannot do. And you should too. When someone says, YOU will never be - tell them to fuck off and BECOME that writer, illustrator, doctor - or Princess.




3 comments:

  1. ALMA! This is awesome. You are awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post Alma! My oldest child has an LD similar in many ways to Dylexia. He has had a similar time of it in school, with much frustration. I pushed for him to be evaluated in kindergarten way before they wanted to do testing. But I knew the more info we had the better we could help him. It is never easy, but I am so proud to see him persevere and reach his goals. We have the same outlook. You can be anything, don't let anyone tell you otherwise.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So glad to hear you pushed for those tests S.

    ReplyDelete